Posted on: 2021-09-07
Industries: Natural Resources & Commodities
Sector: Renewable Energy
Location: Asia Pacific
Job reference: 3286242
- Senior most legal position in South Korea responsible for all legal work
- Must have energy experience in South Korea
- Based in Seoul, South Korea full-time. No overseas relocation budget.
Aurex Group is a specialist recruitment firm focusing on the infrastructure and energy sectors that works with leading companies across the globe to attract top talent.
Our client is a European renewable energy developer whose renewable energy mix includes onshore wind, offshore wind, and solar energy in South Korea. Globally, it is one of the Top 7 power developers and producers with operations on 5 continents spanning nearly 20 countries.
Great opportunity to join a newly-establishing company in South Korea. As the most senior and only legal professional on the local team, you will be responsible for the entire spectrum of legal work in South Korea. This may include diverse topics such as EPC, HR, environmental compliance in regards to project development and construction, tax, regulatory, and criminal proceedings. You will have the support of the international legal team.
Reports to the: Head of International Legal
Dotted line reporting: Country Manager of Korea
Reporting into: no direct reports or indirect reports
Location: Jongno-gu, Seoul, South Korea
The In-House Counsel and Legal Manager is responsible for all legal works including legal-administrative proceedings, reviewing contracts, ensuring regulatory compliance, preparing correspondence, and drafting agreements and memorandums and guaranteeing the defense rights and interest of the company in all instances.
- Overall responsibility for all legal work including EPC, HR, environmental compliance in regards to project development and construction, tax, and legal.
- Project Development Specific capabilities:
- Draft, review, and execute landowner’s agreements
- Property title checks
- Dispute resolution
- Reviewing EPC and service provider contracts
- Draft and negotiate contracts such as project finance, operations and maintenance, EPC, services, supply agreements, and NDAs
- Be prepared to defend in any opposition related to permits, licenses, and consents
- Manage external law firms, consultancies, and experts as needed
- Coordinate all legal defense including for administrative, civil, and criminal proceedings
- Participate in merger and acquisition (M&A) discussions and negotiations
- Ensure compliance with local labor laws, data handling laws, privacy laws (ex: GDPR), and other regulatory and criminal law
- Work with the business development team to support and track applications for permits, licenses, and consents
- Degree in Law
- 7+ years experience as a lawyer, attorney, or counsel
- Renewable Energy project development exposure preferable, but if not, similar experience with development and construction of new infrastructure desired
- Written and spoken business proficiency in Korean in order to draft required documents and negotiate contracts in the local language
- Written and spoken business proficiency in English in order to explain and present complex and nuanced information to the headquarters leadership who speak English
- Proven knowledge of Korean regulatory framework at local, provincial, and national levels that may affect project development, construction, or operations or general functioning of the company
- Strong database management skills to track laws and regulations
- Willing to travel as necessary in order to represent the business in legal proceedings, meet with counterparties, visit sites, or other travel as necessary
If you believe this opportunity is right for you, apply using the link below.
Job posted by: Amy Marietta at Amy.Marietta@AurexGroup.com EA 18S9493 | R1878463