Posted on: 2022-06-01
Industries: Infrastructure & Energy
Sector: Technical & Operational
Location: Asia Pacific
Job reference: 3409408
- Must have Electrical Engineering degree and basic electric design ability
- Experience with power plant commissioning in South Korea
- Based in Seoul, South Korea full-time, no relocation
Aurex Group Overview:
Aurex Group is a boutique recruitment firm focusing on the Energy & Infrastructure sectors. Our Renewable Energy team works with companies across the full spectrum of the project lifecycle to recruit candidates in all functions from investment and origination to market development to project development to engineering and construction to operations and maintenance to divestiture.
As a recruitment agent, we assist companies to source talent in hard to fill positions or in new markets where our clients may not have a strong network or brand presence yet.
Our client is a renowned, global renewable energy developer with expertise in large scale solar development, boasting a global portfolio of over 2GW of projects in operations. As one of the world’s Top 10 solar developers, you will be joining a well-known brand and one of the best capitalized and most aggressive companies in the sector. You will have the opportunity to work within a global business consisting of over 500 employees spread across 20+ countries who are specialists and experts in their job functions and who are passionate about the renewable energy transition.
You will be joining a company with deep roots in South Korea and a track record dating back to 2001 in the conventional power generation sector. Thus, you will be joining a business that already has a good understanding of the power generation market, that has built relationships with MOTIE, KEPCO, and other relevant agencies, and that is committed to operating in the Korean market for the long term.
As the Grid Connection Head for South Korea you will be a member of the global Grid team 10+ people who are the specialists connecting projects to the grid worldwide. You will join a team of experts who have been building utility-scale solar farms globally for 10+ years (not many companies can say that!) and thus have access to lessons learned, best-practices, and some of the most brilliant minds in the solar development industry. You will also join a company that is innovative and is constantly seeking to improve practices across engineering, procurement, and construction. With an annual project construction volume in the gigawatt range, your future employer is one of the “market makers” who is shaping the future of the renewable energy industry.
Position is based in Seoul, South Korea full-time. Applicants must be currently located in South Korea with work authorization for South Korea. Travel of up to 50% will be required to visit project sites, meet with contractors, and coordinate approvals with government agencies.
Reports to: Global Head of Grid Connections, International Team
This is an extensive JD and we understand a single person cannot do all of it. That is why part of this job will be recommending to the HQ what additional positions should be hired to support this position. Thus, if you think you meet 65% or more of this JD, we welcome you to apply.
- Internal & External Network building:
- Build and maintain relationships vendors, independent consultants, government agencies, or other relevant stakeholders in grid connection, transmission, and power distribution
- Provide input to the HQ on how you would like to build out the Grid team for South Korea
- Work with the global grid team to build templates and standardized agreements for grid connection in South Korea to optimize installation and cost for South Korea
- Introduce best practices to support grid connection application, grid capacity checks and grid connection assessment, and ICP auditing in South Korea
- Formalize a standardised response sheet to common risk items as identified by Technical Advisors and Lender’s Engineers alike
- Market building:
- Perform cost-benefit analysis for local and overseas suppliers of grid connection equipment and services
- Work with the procurement team to build a slate of qualified service providers for Asia
- Manage MSAs and associated frameworks in conjunction with the legal team
- Propose sourcing strategies for individual projects as necessary depending on scale or for overall countries
- Develop and maintain key contacts within KEPCO
- Keep abreast of upgrades to transmission networks as well as congestion and instances of curtailment
- Technical Requirements:
- Project manage outsourced grid connection advisory and execution work
- Oversee grid connection activities including status reporting on submission of grid application paperwork
- Manage the review process for grid connection proposals from third party partners to ensure they meet company standards as well as transmission operator/DNO requirements
- Perform time & cost benefit analysis of Asian and global equipment suppliers for long-lead time equipment; work with procurement to select suppliers who can deliver the required capacity at reasonable costs to support project development
- Take a long term and strategic view on purchasing grid capacity and land required to connect projects to the grid
- Represent the Korean Grid Team at investment committee meetings, development update meetings, or other internal meetings as required
- Present risk and mitigation plans for grid connection, grid offer, costs, and schedule of implementing grid connection facilities
- Propose solutions for topics such as grid & substation sharing agreements
- Likely to have 15-25+ years overall work experience with 5+ years experience in power grid related work
- Experience working with high voltage in South Korea
- Experience with power plant commissioning in South Korea
- Willing to travel up to 50% in order to visit project sites, meet with network operators, meet with outsourced service providers as needed, and meet with country-level team members (international travel included)
Nice to have:
- Experience with building substations to support new power plants
- Experience collaborating with overseas team members in English
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred in order to conduct basic electrical design and review detailed design submitted by engineering consultancies
If you believe this opportunity is right for you, please send your CV to:
Amy Marietta at Amy.Marietta@AurexGroup.com EA 18S9493 | R1878463