Posted on: 2022-06-01
Industries: Infrastructure & Energy
Sector: Technical & Operational
Location: Asia Pacific
Job reference: 3396609
- Must have 5+ years experience with Carbon Project Development
- Technical background a plus (ex: engineering, GIS mapping)
- Position can be based anywhere in Asia initially, relo to Singapore after 3-6 mo
Aurex Group Overview:
Aurex Group is a boutique recruitment firm focusing on the Energy & Infrastructure sectors. Our Renewable Energy team works with companies across the full spectrum of the project lifecycle to recruit candidates in all functions from investment and origination to market development to project development to engineering & construction to operations & maintenance to divestiture.
Our client is a market leader in commodities trading, especially commodities with an environmental impact such as biofuels, carbon, renewable power trading, renewable energy credits trading, and energy efficiency certificates.
With over 15 years of experience in this sector, our client’s leadership team is one of the most knowledgeable and experienced to work on. They are passionate about building an environmentally-focused market trading place to allow corporations and governments the ability to voluntarily offset their pollution.
As a mid-sized firm with about 100 employees globally, you will be joining a team that is well-established enough to have good support and administrative systems yet still operating with an entrepreneurial feel.
The Carbon Project Developer will be responsible for managing the registration and development process for assets that can produce carbon credits, renewable energy credits, or other GHG emission reduction credits in Southeast Asia. These assets can come from a variety of sources such as renewable energy, forestry, peat moss, waste reduction and diversion strategies, methane reduction or capture, transportation, energy efficient heating and cooling systems, building efficiency, or other sectors.
You will work closely with the sales and trading teams to match assets to carbon credit/REC offtakers. The sales and trading teams will gather leads on projects that can produce reduced emissions credits, carbon offset credits, and the like. As the Project Developer, you will then be responsible for traveling to the project sites, conducting technical due diligence, gathering information from the various carbon and emissions registries to determine monetary performance and validate carbon/emissions offset values, or if the project has not been registered to a registry to get it registered, and to ultimately put together a proposal to the senior management for investment into or acquisition of the project.
Position can be based anywhere in Asia Pacific. Regular travel to project sites, global situation permitting, will be required. After 3-6 months of work, you will be expected to relocate to Singapore.
- Take project leads and teasers from the sales team and determine project feasibility; push RFIs back to the sales team as needed to get required information from the project owner
- Conduct due diligence to identify and mitigate project risks factoring in new or upcoming policies, regulations, and legislation in Southeast Asia
- Manage external service providers such as technical consultancies, law firms, insurance companies, and others relevant to the project diligence
- Travel to project sites to meet with project owners and local authorities
- Prepare project documentation, testing schemes, and generate estimates of carbon output
- Build relationships with project owners, project developers, and asset managers
- As needed, support the sales team with market research and development in order to help them identify and source projects that reduce emissions (forestry, peat moss, renewable energy, agricultural methane reduction, etc – be creative) in Southeast Asia
- Prepare investment committee memos and presentations in written English for the management committee in the Western headquarters
- 5+ years work experience in a project development position, responsible for validating carbon projects, determining carbon output, registering projects into the relevant registry
- Highly preferred to have experience with Verified Carbon Standard (VCS)-Verra, Clean Development Mechanism (CDM), Gold Standard (GS), and Greenhouse Gas Credit (GGC) registry and similar international project registration/standardization bodies
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Self-motivated and ability to manage one’s own goals and deadlines
- Willing to travel to project sites across Asia Pacific
Job posted by: Amy Marietta, Consultant, Aurex Group EA 18S9493 | R1878463